Colonial Meetinghouses Featured in this Project
Name of Meetinghouse:   Old Ship Church
Year(s) Built:   1681
National Register of Historic Places Designation:   1962
Massachusetts State Register of Historic Places:   Yes - year?
Organization responsible:   Old Ship Church, First Parish in Hingham
Organization's address:   107 Main St., Hingham, MA 02043
Organization's web site:   Old Ship Church
Additional Ingormation:   Friends of Old Ship Meeting House
Town Information:   Town of Hingham
Tax status:   Religious organization - tax exempt
Contact:   Julianna Dunn, Parish Administrator
Telephone:   (781) 749-1679
This page was last updated on:   July 27, 2009
The Old Ship in Hingham, Massachusetts, is the oldest of the surviving meetinghouses. It was built in 1681, and the curved roof beams resemble the inside of a ship. Architecturally, the Old Ship is quite a bit different from the Meetinghouses that were built in the 1700s. Its layout is essentially square, with a hip roof. As with later meetinghouses, the main entrance faces south, and the interior layout consists of a high pulpit on the north wall, and galleries on the other three walls. Box pews occupy both the ground floor and the galleries. When it was originally built, there would probably have been entrances on the east and west walls for women and men, respectively. However, additions to the east and west sides of the building have removed these earlier entrances.